Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Guide

I didn't have time to post a blog last week. I had my dad and his wife over at my place and I was trying not to get too absorbed in the internet with them around. I will probably be doing much the same thing around the same time next week due to the fact my mother will be around then.

Having company has helped me realize how many things around me that I once thought of as unusual or different have become common and normal to me.

For example, drink vending machines in places where they seem entirely pointless. I got very used to seeing them, so I no longer realized how silly it was that they were placed there.

Something else that was unusual about having company was my role as a translator. My level of Japanese certainly didn't rise when they came to Kagoshima, but being in the position of "translator", Japanese people seemed to be more confident in my ability to communicate with them. Maybe because instead of being annoyed that I didn't bring someone better at Japanese, they are grateful that my father did. When I think about it, it really makes sense.

This was a really great chance to check out some really awesome things in the area. I'll be uploading pictures on my facebook album sometime soon (but not right now because I am at work.) I am looking forward to doing more discovering of my host prefecture when my mom gets here.

I am truly impressed by the extent to which this prefecture has both beautiful places to see and a very interesting history. (Although I imagine most places do if you bother to find out.)

One of the highlights for me was when we went up to a park not too far of a drive from my apartment building and was surprised and delighted to have a view of the volcano, Sakurajima.

I know this is supposed to be a blog to make up for three weeks, but I really honestly don't know what else more to say.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Salji Fuji' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP