Friday, February 6, 2009

Glasses and influenza

Who else thinks that my blog title should be the name of a rock song?

No? No takers?

Then I'll just skip to the blog then.

I got new glasses a few weeks ago. Perhaps the most amusing part of the process was how obsessive compulsive the man was about cleaning my glasses. He cleaned my old pair when I purchased the new glasses and then he cleaned the old pair AND the new pair when I went to go pick up the new glasses later.

I haven't even worn the old glasses since getting these new ones.

But I suppose I know that they're clean at least.

Today I was sitting in the teacher's room at an elementary school when suddenly someone was standing behind me and offering to clean my glasses for me. I was really startled, confused, and baffled by the situation. Finally, I realized that she worked for a glasses shop here in town. Apparently, it is normal for workers from glasses shops to go around to different work places, talking to people about glasses and cleaning people's glasses for them

By the way, the glasses store to shoe store ratio in this town is 6:1. There is only one shoe store. However, there probably are more glasses stores that I can think to count at the moment.

Isn't that weird???

The flu has been going around these days. 2 ALTs in this city have caught it already. I haven't yet and I don't feel the signs of my body fighting it off, so I guess I'm in pretty good shape so far. I think it is kind of funny that the Japanese use the word "influenza" for flu. For me, I've always heard the word "influenza" in places such as history books. People feeling sick these days have the "flu" and someone who died hundreds of years ago had "influenza." I know that they are the same thing, but I can't help but think that "influenza" is worse than "the flu".

People are constantly telling people to take care not to catch the flu these days. It's nice to see people have so much concern for one another.

1 comments:

Dianne
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  © Blogger template 'Salji Fuji' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP